Something about the spring reminds me of being 15 and back in my home town. I remember frequenting the local coffee shop with my friend Olga, listening to Feist, the Shins, and Stars. We spent the summer sipping chai lattes, running around downtown, hanging out in radio stations, and rummaging through used CDs in the local music store. We went to a few small indie shows at that same coffee shop (my parents wouldn’t let me go to the bigger venue in town) and made friends with a singer/songwriter who gave us free shirts.
Now that the weather is finally getting warmer, I’ve been thinking quite a bit about those summer days and feeling nostalgic. I tend to forget how much I used to care about good music. Recently I’ve been kind of careless about the quality of my music selections (yeah, I’m looking at you, Gucci Mane) and spring reminds me of my old favorites.
So I’ve decided to do something a little different. I put together a playlist with some throwbacks along with some newer stuff with a similar vibe. Hope you like it!
- The Shins – New Slang
- MGMT – Kids
- Knife – Heartbeats (Live)
- The Shins – Girl inform me
- Band of Horses – The Funeral
- Santigold – Lights Out
- James Blackshaw – Fix
- Gnarls Barkley – Crazy
- Guster – One Man Wrecking Machine
- Radical Face – Welcome Home Son
- Cat Power – The Greatest
- Modest Mouse – The World At Large
- Guster – Satellite
- Grandaddy – Stray Dog and the Chocolate Shake
- Feist- Secret Heart
- The Kooks – She Moves In Her Own Way
- Flaming Lips – Do You Realize??
- Stars – One More Night
- Camera Obscura – Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken